Orchids have become the most fashionable flowering plant to decorate homes and businesses. Did you know that orchids are considered air plants? Here are 5 more fun facts about orchids!
1. There are over 30,000 varieties of orchids which grow naturally all over the world – except Antarctica – and are the largest family of plants in the entire world.
2. Orchids have symmetry much like the human face.
3. Orchids come in every imaginable color except a “true” black.
4. Some orchids actually resemble animals: monkey orchids and bee orchids are just a few.
5. At one time, orchids were owned only by the wealthy; now they outsell every other house plant and can be purchased for a reasonable price!
Here are 5 tips to help you care for your orchids.
Allow orchids to dry out before watering again. Try this trick to let you know when it’s time to water. Insert the sharpened lead tip of a pencil into the medium. If the lead darkens, then the plant has enough water.
Don’t use the “ice cube trick” and water plants by placing ice cubes on the soil surface. Orchids thrive best with room temperature water. When watering, allow the water to full drain through the container.
Fertilize orchids weekly. For orchids grown in a bark-based mix, feed with a fertilizer high in nitrogen. Try Jack’s Classic Special Orchid Fertilizer 30-10-10, available in an 8 oz tub. For other mediums, use a balanced fertilizer, such as Jack’s Classic Liquid Plant food 7-5-6, available in an 8 oz bottle.
* This is a basic orchid fertilizer suggestion. Different orchid varieties have different fertilization needs. Our trained sales associates can guide you to the right one for your orchid!
Orchids like higher levels of humidity. Place the potted orchid on top of a tray of pebbles and water. Make sure the plant is not sitting in the water. This will regulate the humidity around the plant and provide some added décor.
English Gardens carefully selects orchids that produce more blooms to ensure lasting beauty. We do this by selecting growers who do not force orchids but allow the proper growing time and proper natural conditions necessary for a healthy orchid. English Gardens has Michigan’s widest selection of orchid varieties fresh from Florida, California, and Hawaii.
Our sales associates are trained on caring for orchids that will keep them lasting longer.
We also offer the best selection of orchid accessories such as: pots, fertilizer, growing medium, stakes, clips and books.
Please Note – Great care is necessary if you wish your orchid (phaleanopsis) to re-bloom. Without the proper care at store level, most orchids don’t stand a chance to re-bloom.
Page was created with Mobirise